Train to Teach at OSCA
Secondary School Teaching:
(With St John Bosco Teaching School Allience)
Holly Lodge High School in Smethwick is the lead Secondary School for the St John Bosco Teaching School Alliance. We provide a full range of Secondary subjects across our partner schools.
Why Train with the St John Bosco Teaching School Alliance?
We aim to produce outstanding teachers for the future. We achieve this by providing trainees with a personal mentor within school and offering a training programme at Newman University and at our partner schools.
School Direct is a school based teacher training program allowing you to spend most of your time in one school, so that you feel part of the school getting to know staff and students really well. To increase your experience trainees also have a six week second placement at another school.
If you complete the training year successfully you will be awarded Qualified Teacher Status as well as a Post Graduate qualification.
100% of our trainees have gained employment in the last three years.
Our Partner Schools
As well as Holly Lodge High School, our lead school based in Smethwick, we have a range of partner schools across a wide geographical area.
- Ormiston Sandwell Community Academy, Tividale
- Oldbury Academy, Oldbury
- Windsor High School, Halesowen
- The Kingswinford School, Dudley
- Turves Green Girls School, South Birmingham
Subjects offered by the partner schools; Art and Design, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Computing, Design and Technology, Drama, English, Geography, History, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Music, Psychology, Physical Education, Physics, Religious Education.
If the course is offered at more than one school you will be able to select your preferred location for training when you apply.
What do you do next?
Apply through the UCAS website link. Search for “St John Bosco Catholic Teaching School Alliance” as the training provider.
Before you apply you will need to consider the following eligibility criteria-
- Degree 2:2 or higher (if applying for Secondary at least 50% in your chosen subject)
- GCSE A*-C grades in English and Maths (and Science if applying for Primary)
- School Experience. You will need to have at least two weeks recent experience in a British state school in the age range you are interested in
- Following your application and interview you will need to successfully complete Professional Skills Tests
Your application must convey your passion and commitment to teaching, it should refer to your experience in the classroom and explain why you would make a good teacher.
If you would like to know more or make an application contact Kabir Ahmed at Ormiston Sandwell Community Academy (Acting Assistant Principal responsible for Initial Teacher Training) Kabir.Ahmed@ortmistonsandwell.org.uk.