Reward & Recognition
Why is this important and how does it link to our values?
At OSCA we aim to create a culture where recognition is at the heart of what we do. We aim to reward and recognise the academic, enrichment and citizenship achievements of all students. We are determined to provide a system whereby all achievements are celebrated.
To do this, we have created our very own ‘House Achievements’ points system to recognise and reward students here at OSCA. We want our students to embody the ethos and values that are core to the academy’s beliefs.
In consultation with our students, we have created a visual and interactive way for students and staff to see the progress of their house’s performance via the token collector. This is done by students receiving tokens for their efforts and adding those in to their house bank (token collector)
Alongside this, we celebrate the success of our students via weekly tutor and House assemblies – where prizes, certificates and house achievements are shared. In conjunction with house achievements points, the winning house receive the House Cup at the end of the academic year.
Awards assemblies and evening ceremonies take place every term and at the end of the academic year, respectively, to recognise the successes and achievements of students here at OSCA.
Many students, past and present, have enjoyed celebrating achievements for the previous term by reward trips. Trips range from ice skating to theme parks (STC). Students who are eligible to attend reward trips have to meet a set criteria and exhibit the values, expectations and ethos of OSCA. Student who miss out, have the opportunity to try again the next term, thus encouraging healthy competition and opportunity.
How does it work? Key information/structure
- Reward Categories:
- Excellent Work Ethos
- Positive Role Mode
- Commitment to the Academy/House
- Excellence in Attendance & Punctuality
- House Achievements
Students at OSCA will also be rewarded in the following ways:
- Verbal praise/encouragement during lessons, L4S or where appropriate
- Displaying students work - in class, online and social media
- Positive comment or praise in exercise books , sketch books or classwork
- Phone call or text/message home
- Positive postcards for excellent attainment/progress in both academic or pastoral studies
- Receiving House Achievement points in & outside the classroom
- Receiving House Achievement for extra-curricular/outstanding school community participation
- House Achievement for nomination for student of the week per house
- Nominated for achievement assemblies at end of each term by your subject teacher/form tutor
- OSCA reward for ½ termly 98% above & 100% attendance
- Termly reward trips for attendance, behaviour and punctuality
- Certificate / Awards at presentation evening & annual OSCA awards
What do I need to do? How can I find out more?
Please encourage your child to join in with as many of the clubs and enrichment activities available to them as possible. We endeavour to offer free clubs for students to attend, however there may be a cost for some. Below are examples of how we reward and recognise the effort made by our students.